Best Portable Generators 2019 Reviews
Going camping or for a vacation at a remote cabin in the jungle? It would surely help to have a portable generator. Stationary generators are only suitable for homes that experience frequent power outages. A portable one can be moved about as desired without a hassle.
Portable generators are also very easy to use. There are plenty of brands that can be turned on with a push of a single button. Portable generators are also quite cost effective, considering power, longevity and convenience.
Best Portable Generators 2019
Portable generators are also highly safe as long as you follow the safety guidelines and place the generator about 15 feet away from the house or the tent. Personal generators for consumers also do not require permits, and just about anyone can install one without the need to hire professional handymen.
If you are on the market for a portable generator, here is a list of the best to choose from
Table Of Contents
- 1 Best Portable Generators 2019
- 2 DUROMAX 4,400 WATT 7.0 HP OHV 4-CYCLE GAS POWERED PORTABLE GENERATOR
- 3 WESTINGHOUSE PORTABLE GENERATOR
- 4 CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT 7500 WATT DUAL FUEL PORTABLE GENERATOR WITH ELECTRIC START
- 5 POWERPRO 2-STROKE 1000-WATT GENERATOR
- 6 DUROSTAR 3300 RUNNING WATTS/4000 STARTING WATTS, GAS POWERED PORTABLE GENERATOR
DUROMAX 4,400 WATT 7.0 HP OHV 4-CYCLE GAS POWERED PORTABLE GENERATOR
DuroMax is a well-respected brand name in the generator business. This portable generator runs on gas and can discharge up to 3,500 continuous watts and 4,400 surge watts.
In total, this generator can provide up to 8 hours of power using about 4 gallons of gas. It weighs less than 120 pounds so carrying is not that difficult with help. You only need to press the start button to power it up.
There are no annoying wires to pill. Also, this generator produces only little amounts of noise. It has an EPA-approved muffler to reduce noise population. Safety features to prevent oil burnout or dangerous surges are well in place.
Automatic oil shutoff is enabled. A battery with an electric key is included as well. Overall, this is an excellent portable generator for homes and worksites. It can easily power up saws, drills and similar equipment at construction sites without the need to extend wires for miles.
The price is not bad either considering the features. However, this unit is not CARB compliant and is not available for sale in California.
- 4400 Watt Surge/3500 Watt Continuous. Designed to run on 87 octane gasoline for maximum convenience
- 4 Gallon Gas Tank/8 Hour Run Time
- Electric Key Start/Includes Battery. Move generator to a level surface to prevent low oil shut down from triggering
- EPA Approved;Spark plug wrench
- Automatic Low Oil Shut Off
WESTINGHOUSE PORTABLE GENERATOR
This is a quite expensive generator suitable for professional and semi-professional use. It’s good for home use as well, as long as you are willing to invest in a high-end unit such as this.
This unit is quite powerful. It can generate 7,500 watts and 9,000 surge watts on a fuel tank with a capacity over 6.5 gallons. At 25 percent load, this unit can run for 11 hours. It’s designed with a minimalist user control center.
It has a digital hour meter, buttons for starting, running and stopping, a circuit breaker and four 120/240VAC power outlets.
This unit easily jump start with the press of the starting switch. The engine is designed to be quite durable and long lasting. The unit comes with a PnP toolkit that includes oil (with funnel), a battery charger and assembly tools.
You can start using this unit right away with minimal assembly. This unit is CARB complaint and has EPA approval for low noise pollution.
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 16 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User's Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420 cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- EPA, CARB, and CSA Compliant; Backed By a 3-Year Warranty; Nationwide Customer Service and Support Network at 1-855-944-3571
CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT 7500 WATT DUAL FUEL PORTABLE GENERATOR WITH ELECTRIC START
This portable generator is heavy compared to the others on this list, but it is powerful and portable. It comes in a sturdy steel frame that can withstand rough weather, hence the 230 pound weight.
This unit uniquely runs on both gasoline and propane conveniently. You can start using it right out of the packaging with little assembly. There’s a durable 439cc Champion engine inside that can generate up to 9,375 starting watts and 7500 running watts on a full tank.
It can run for 8 hours on a full tank of gas, or 5.5 hours straight on a full tank of propane. The unit is very easy to get used to. It immediately powers up with a press of the Touch Start button. The power outlets lock and have Volt Guard protection to prevent power surges affecting other appliances connected to the grid. There’s an automatic low oil shutoff feature as well. Oil is included.
The spark arrestor of this unit is approved by the USDA. Overall, this is a highly reliable unit that you can rely on for demanding needs energy needs.
- Dual Fuel - Operate your 7500-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 1.2-quarts of oil (included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Electric start - Power up the 439cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, battery included
- Intelligauge - Keep track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals.1.5 Inch dia. tubular steel frame for protection and durability
- Powerful - At 9375 starting watts and 7500 running watts on gasoline and 8400 starting watts and 6750 running watts on propane, trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector to prevent overloads
- Champion Support - Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
POWERPRO 2-STROKE 1000-WATT GENERATOR
This portable generator weighs only 36 pounds. It’s the lightest unit on this list. Thanks to the lack of heaviness, you can easily pack this portable generator in a car or a van when going on trips where electricity is limited.
You can move it around the home or a construction site without breaking your back as well. This unit generates very low amounts of noise, and is therefore qualified for use in a national park or a forest.
The power output is about 900 watts and a full tank can last up to 5 hours. Considering this size, these specs are quite impressive.
Additional features include dual outlets, easy grip handle, and a voltmeter to measure the energy output. While this unit may not be suitable for powering up the house overnight during an outage, it’s highly recommended for limited needs for power, such as on a camping outing.
This unit is wholly EPA and CARB complaint. If you have low power needs and a modest budget, this is an excellent portable generator to invest in.
- 1000-watt generator with 2-HP single-cylinder 2-stroke engine
- 1-gallon fuel tank; 5 hours run time at half load; uses oil/gas mix fuel--no need for oil changes
- Quiet exhaust system with spark arrestor; EPA and CARB compliant
- Carrying handle for easy transport; 4 rubber pads on frame for stability
- 1-year limited warranty
DUROSTAR 3300 RUNNING WATTS/4000 STARTING WATTS, GAS POWERED PORTABLE GENERATOR
This portable generator has a durable air cooled OHV engine with an automatic low oil shutoff valve. It’s modestly priced and weighs only 93 pounds. Though small in size, this unit can generate 3,300 watts of power for 8 hours on a full tank.
It also comes with an easy-to-use operator’s panel that has an oil warning light, voltmeter and a circuit breaker. Plus, this unit is very quiet.
It has a built-in spark arrestor for safety and all cords are easy to pull out if needed. However, it’s not CARB compliant and is therefore not available in California. This portable generator has a heavy-duty steel frame to ensure sturdiness and a limited amount of weather resistance. If you want a portable generator for family use, this unit comes highly recommended.
You can also transport this generator to vacation homes and retreats in case power is needed. This portable generator definitely returns the best bank for the buck considering features, durability and ease of use.
- POWERFUL DUROSTAR ENGINE: The DS4000s is Powered by a DuroStar 7.0 Hp, air cooled OHV engine w/low oil shutoff.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 4,000 starting watts and 3,300 running watts, this unit is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools.
- POWER PANEL: Includes a selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 2 120V household outlets and 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet.
- POWERING EVERYONE ANYWHERE: The DS4000s is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
Conclusion: When buying a portable generator, consider weight, convenience, power output, efficiency and compliance. Your budget will also largely dictate what you can buy or not. Carefully read about all the features of the unit, and understand how to use one before purchasing a portable generator.